UC Davis Medical Center
Transfusion Safety Officer up to $10,000 Hiring Bonus
Salary Range: $7,991.67 to $15,825.00 Monthly
This position may be eligible for up to $10,000 hiring bonus.
The Transfusion Safety Officer (TSO) is responsible for managing the Patient Blood Management Program to assure that all transfusion-related activities are designed to ensure patient safety, comply with all Hospital Policies and Procedures, and meet or exceed CDPH, Joint Commission, FDA, AABB, and other accreditation and regulatory agency standards. The TSO collaborates with all levels of clinical and medical personnel to formulate strategies to evaluate transfusion management processes and offering recommendations for improvement. The TSO will assist in establishing/administering policies, processes, resources and procedures to support blood management and utilization models that meet regulatory standards and guidelines based on evidence-based transfusion medicine practices.
Applicants are encouraged to upload license and certification if required of the position.
• Possess ASCP Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) certification OR Bachelor’s degree in nursing (BSN).
• Must possess minimum of three (3) years of direct work experience in a Transfusion Services Laboratory or Blood Bank setting as certified MLS OR minimum of three (3) years of direct work experience in patient transfusions in a clinical setting.
• Bachelor’s degree in nursing or other healthcare profession, or a combination of comparable clinical education and/ or experience.
• Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills to manage multiple levels of highly-complex information and responsibilities, to quickly assess problems, and to develop and implement timely and effective solutions.
• Advanced interpersonal skills for collaborating effectively with all levels of clinical and technical staff and representatives of external regulatory agencies and for mentoring lower-level QI staff.
• Ability to analyze, evaluate, interpret and correlate data, to prepare reports using applicable software applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio), and to present reports to various departmental and hospital committees.
• California state issued Clinical Laboratory Scientist license or nursing license (current and renewed as required)
• Four or more years of Blood Bank/Transfusion Medicine/Blood Infusion experience.
• Possess technical knowledge of Transfusion Services Laboratory testing and processes OR
• Possess technical knowledge of Clinical Infusion Practices and processes.
• Knowledge of state, federal, hospital and departmental regulations and requirements.
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements pertaining to the Transfusion Service
• Possess outstanding written and oral communication skills including the ability to lead discussions and deliver group presentations and prepare concise reports and action memos.
• Demonstrated effective listening and questioning techniques.
• Knowledge of quality assurance, quality system essentials, quality improvement, benchmarking, metrics, data analysis, and audit processes.
• Ability to recognize aberrant processes that could lead to failures.
• Possess excellent strategic thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
• Possess the ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships and to collaborate on interdepartmental projects.
• Excellent project management skills with proven ability to effectively perform and timely manage quality improvement projects.
• Ability to collect data using Laboratory Information Systems (LIS), EPIC EMR, RL Solutions.
• Ability to produce high quality deliverables within established timelines.
• Ability to recognize the need to keep confidential information secure, while exercising judgment, tact and discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations.
• Ability to demonstrate consistent level of high performance.
• This position may be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug screen, Live Scan fingerprinting, medical evaluation clearance, and functional capacity assessment.
• The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at:
Job ID #56430
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer